Image courtesy of No. 2 Pencil
Hot, sizzling fajitas are one of the most delicious menu items you can order at a Mexican restaurant! However, eating out can be expensive. If you don’t know exactly what went into the meal, these savory dishes can also hide high amounts of fat and sodium. So why not make your own?
Here’s an easy recipe to make your own delicious fajitas at home! It only takes 30 minutes to make, and because you can cook it all in one pan, your clean-up is minimal. Enjoy!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breast tenders
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 small red onion sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- several turns of freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- tortillas warmed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, chicken tenders, olive oil, salt and pepper and spices.
- Toss to combine.
- Spray baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
- Spread chicken, bell peppers and onions on baking sheet.
- Cook at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes, until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Then turn oven to broil and cook for additional 1-2 minutes just letting the veggies pick up some color. Watch carefully to make sure they don’t start to burn.
- In the last five minutes of cooking,not while the broiler is on, let tortillas wrapped in foil warm in the oven.
- Squeeze juice from fresh limes over fajita mixture while hot and top with fresh cilantro.
- Serve in warm tortillas.
Recipe courtesy of No. 2 Pencil