Photo courtesy of Hallie Burton and Health.com
Welcome to 30 Days on a Mediterranean Diet, our new blog series! It’s no secret that eating the Mediterranean way helps with heart health and weight loss. But fast-paced modern living makes it hard to stick to any diet, which is why each 30 Days on a Mediterranean Diet post will feature a healthy Mediterranean recipe.
When I think “make-ahead”, a part of me wants to run away immediately. Being busy means that anything that takes extra effort automatically becomes a nuisance; changing that attitude is an important part of ‘living Mediterranean’ and becomes oh-so-much-easier when you strategically choose exactly what you’re going to make ahead of time.
Bold, delicious, easy. Sound good? Yep, and it also sounds like Mediterranean Chickpea Patties. These bad boys take hardly any time at all and make for a really filling and yummy lunch at work (AKA, the perfect “make ahead” recipe).
Chickpeas – the darling legumes of the world – just so happen to be ridiculously good for you. They contain in 15 grams of protein just one cup* (yeah, pretty awesome, huh?) and lots of fiber. Plus, the ample manganese (great for bones and metabolism) and folate (the cell growth superhero)** give your body key minerals and vitamins.
Don’t wanna make it ahead of time? Dig in tonight for dinner instead!
Makes 4-6 servings
1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 egg, whisked
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided (Note: Substitute all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour to stick to whole grains)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup low-fat Greek-style yogurt
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
8 cups mixed salad greens
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
Prep & Cook
- Pulse the chickpeas, parsley, garlic, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of both salt and pepper in a food processor until coarsely chopped and mixture comes together.
- Transfer to a bowl, add egg and 2 tablespoons flour; form into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Place remaining flour in a small dish and roll patties in it with floured hands; tap off excess flour.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden.
- Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Divide greens, tomatoes, onion, and patties evenly among 4 plates; drizzle each salad with 2 tablespoons dressing. Serve with pita chips, if desired.
By: Laurentia Guesman,
*Cespedes, Andrea. Chickpeas Nutrition Information. Livestrong.com.
**Tremblay, Sylvie. Nutrients & Benefits of Chickpeas and Garbanzo Beans. SF Gate.