Photo courtesy of Bon Appetit
It’s no secret that eating the Mediterranean way helps with heart health and weight loss. But, fast-paced modern living, especially during the holidays, makes it hard to stick to any diet. That’s why we have come up with healthy Mediterranean alternatives for the holidays.
You can’t talk about Thanksgiving dinner and not talk about Turkey. Turkey is a staple in every Thanksgiving meal. We love this Bon Appetit Herb-roasted Turkey recipe because it not only meets the criteria for those on a Mediterranean diet, but also fills your home with the delicious aroma of herbs and citrus!
From Bon Appetit
Makes 8-10 servings
- 1 12-14 lb. turkey, giblets and neck removed, at room temperature for 1 hour
- 3 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/12 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
Prep & Cook
- Preheat oven to 450°. Set a rack inside a large roasting pan. Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Rub bird inside and out with salt and pepper. Place turkey on the rack in the pan. Using a fork, mix butter, lemon zest, rosemary, sage and thyme in a small bowl. Rub herb butter over top of turkey and inside the cavity.
- Place onion, orange and lemon inside turkey cavity. Tuck tips of wings under bird (this prevents them from burning during the long roasting time). Pour 4 cups water into pan. Roast turkey, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°. Baste turkey with pan juices; add more water if needed to maintain at least 1/4″ liquid in the bottom of roasting pan. Continue roasting turkey, basting every 30 minutes and tenting with foil if skin is turning too dark, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 165° (juices should run clear when thermometer is removed), about 2 3⁄4 hours total.
- Transfer turkey to a platter. Tent with foil and let rest for 1 hour before carving.