Living clean is a year-round lifestyle, but it can be especially challenging to maintain during the holidays. Modere is committed to creating clean-label products that make your life easier while being kind to the earth. As you write your gift list for all your family and friends this holiday season, here are 7 easy ways you can also give back to the Earth.
- Be efficient with lights. Whether you’re putting up holiday lights around the outside of your house or you brought home a beautiful new lamp, use electricity wisely. Try LED lights where possible because they’re much more efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs. Turn them off when you’re not using them, and put outside lights on a timer so you can control their energy consumption. Bonus: not only is this better for the planet, but it will save you money too!
- Use eco-friendly products. With all the extra family and friends you’ll be hosting during the holidays, you might find yourself doing a lot more household cleaning than usual. To help protect the planet and limit your guests’ exposure to harmful chemicals, be sure to use eco-friendly cleaning products. Modere Multi-Surface Cleaner and is free of phosphates, dyes, chlorine and triclosan, so it’s safe to use around children and pets. Additionally, it is biodegradable and gray-water safe, so you can feel good about washing them down your drain.*
- Buy local food. Buying food locally is great for your community’s economy, and it cuts down on the pollution from shipping items to large chain stores. Local foods usually have more options for organic products too. Consider giving a jar of locally produced honey as a gift this holiday season!
- Use water responsibly. Most households see a spike in their utility bills over the holidays. Because people are spending more time at home and often have visitors, homes tend to use a lot more water. The gallons washed down the drain often contain harsh chemicals, dyes and toxins from soaps and cleaning products. Consider ways to cut down on your water use during the holidays, and use gray-water safe products like Modere Laundry Powder that are free of dyes, phosphates and fragrances.**
- Avoid food waste. People tend to serve elaborate feasts during the holidays, and with so much excess food, a lot of it can go to waste. To prevent the extra food from ending up in landfills, you can plan your meals in advance according to how many people you expect will be dining. Store leftovers carefully, and if you still have food waste, be sure to compost it instead of throwing it away. You can also avoid overeating and limit food waste during the holidays with Modere Fiber and Sustain Chocolate Bliss protein, which help to curb cravings and create a healthier gut environment.***
- Volunteer to help the earth. With plenty of free time around the holiday season, you don’t have to just sit around and watch TV. You can use your time to help the earth! Volunteer at a recycling center, pick up trash in your neighborhood, or plant a tree.
- Nix plastic decorations. Plastic decorations can leach harmful chemicals. They’re often expensive, and once they break, they usually aren’t recyclable. One new way that earth-conscious consumers decorate is by using accent pieces straight from nature. Colorful gourds during fall and pine branches during winter will evoke the spirit of the season, and you can easily compost when the seasons turn. Clean-burning soy candles are also a great option.
Use these 7 tips to be more eco-friendly this holiday season. You’ll end up supporting your local economy and saving money in addition to cutting down on waste. Live the Modere Live Clean lifestyle to give a vital gift to the Earth this season, and all year long.
* Readily biodegradable according to OECD 301D protocol testing. Gray-water safe according to OECD 208 protocol.
** Gray-water safe according to OECD 208 protocol, when normal strength laundry wastewater was diluted 1:10 with tap water, the solution did not inhibit plant germination or growth.
***This statement has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.