Photo courtesy of Making Thyme for Health
Welcome to 30 Days on a Mediterranean Diet, our new blog series! It’s no secret that eating the Mediterranean way helps with heart health and weight loss. But fast-paced modern living makes it hard to stick to any diet, which is why each 30 Days on a Mediterranean Diet post will feature a healthy Mediterranean recipe.
Gone are the days of gut-busting “cream of” casseroles, and here to stay are delicious, healthy bakes for busy families on the go. This amazing Mediterranean Quinoa Casserole hits all the right notes, delivering delish nutrition in a convenient dinner recipe for hectic weeknights.
Nearly all of the primary ingredients pack on the protein* – not the pounds. Add in aromatics and creamy feta, and you’ve got a homerun on your hands. Enjoy!
From Making Thyme for Health
Makes 5 servings
1 cup quinoa, soaked overnight and rinsed
1/2 cup brown lentils, soaked overnight and rinsed
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
1 pint (2 cups) grape tomatoes, halved
2 medium size eggs
1/2 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 and 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of black pepper
Prep & Cook
- Place the pre-soaked quinoa in a pot with 1 and 1/2 cups water, bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the water has absorbed.
- Place the presoaked lentils in a pot with 1 cup of water and also bring to a boil and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes. Once they are done cooking, place them both in a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and warm the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Grab the defrosted spinach and remove excess moisture by squeezing between a few paper towels. Then add the spinach to the onions and cook for another 3 minutes.
- While that is cooking, break open two whole eggs in a separate bowl and add the Greek yogurt.
- Mix them together well and then add the dill, salt and pepper. After stirring seasonings in, add the crumbled feta and continue to stir until mixed well.
- After the spinach mixture has cooked, place it in the bowl with the quinoa and lentils and toss in the halved grape tomatoes.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl and stir everything together until well combined.
- Place ingredients into a large (I used a 1-quart size), greased casserole dish.
- For a little extra cheesiness, top with a sprinkle of shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
By: Laurentia Guesman,